Every mother wants their child to become taller during their childhood days. Helping the child to grow to their optimum height is often a big concern to their parents. There are various ways to make a child grow taller. In most cases, approximately 70-80% of people’s genetics play an important role in growing taller. However, there are various other factors, like the food that we eat can also make a difference and influence the height of the child over a period .
The three most important factors determining the child's height are genes, diet, and lifestyle. However, the first factor is not in our hands, but changes in the second and third factors can help attain the child's required height. The diet that the child takes is very important since it helps to contribute to boosting the human growth hormone (HGH) and insulin-like growth factor- 1 (IGF-1).
Essential nutrients required for height growth
The essential nutrients that are required to grow taller are listed below:
- Proteins- Proteins are the building blocks of our body. They can help increase the child's height by building various tissues. They help maintain muscles, tissues, skin, organs, healthy bones, and teeth. Proteins have certain essential amino acids that contribute to promoting growth hormones. They also help in stimulating biochemical reactions in our bodies.
- Vitamin D- It plays a vital role in making the bone long and strong. Foods rich in vitamin D are milk, cauliflower, tomatoes, citrus fruits, etc. Vitamin D helps us absorb more calcium and phosphorus effectively, and that helps children grow taller genetically.
- Vitamin A- Vitamins and minerals play an important role in better functioning of the body and promote the growth of the body. Among all other vitamins and minerals, vitamin A plays an important role in the growth and development of the body. Some vegetables rich in vitamin A are carrots, papaya, beetroot, spinach, green leafy vegetables, and cantaloupe.
- Calcium- Calcium is well known for its bone formation and strengthening of the bones. It is one of the highest amounts of minerals found in our bodies. Calcium, along with phosphorus, is required for the development of bones. Some natural sources rich in calcium are milk and milk products, spinach, collards, and soy products.
- Carbohydrates- Many people restrict themselves from consumption of carbohydrates since they believe it is unhealthy for kids. But carbohydrates are essential for the kids since they help provide them with energy. It is essential to add carbs to the diet in a balanced way as it provides energy to the kids. Some of the food that contains carbohydrates are whole-grain foods. It is always advised to avoid food that has refined flour .
Food that promotes height growth in teenagers and children
A proper diet will always help in promoting height growth naturally. Some of the food items that help in promoting height growth are listed below:
- Carrots- The carrot is a vegetable that is rich in vitamin A. It helps kids to grow taller. They also have a rich source of vitamin C. These vitamins also help in preserving calcium in the bones. Carrots can be given to children in raw form or juice.
- Fruits- Fruits contain all the essential minerals, fibres, and vitamins necessary for every child’s growth. Some of the fruits that are highly rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant properties are papaya, citrus fruits, guava, apples, mangoes, apricots, oranges, etc.
- Berries- Berries have a high amount of vitamin C. They help in cell growth and tissue repair. Berries such as blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries are fruits filled with essential elements for height growth. Berries consist of other essential elements, which include minerals and vitamins such as vitamin K, manganese, and fibre.
- Almonds- Almonds are a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin E, fibre, minerals, and fat-soluble vitamins, which greatly help children's growth. Almonds consist of a large amount of vitamin E, essential to break down bone tissue since it inhibits a cell called osteoclasts.
- Quinoa- Quinoa is the best food that helps with height growth. Quinoa contains nine essential amino acids that our body requires for the growth and development of the body. Quinoa is a complete plant-based protein. Quinoa is a rich source of magnesium, which increases bone mineral density.
- Oatmeal- Oatmeal is a protein-rich meal that helps repair tissues and bones of the body. It also helps in increasing the height of the children. Children who want to grow taller should consume at least 50 grams of oatmeal daily.
- Bok Choy- It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals that are essential for the height growth of children.
- Green leafy vegetables- They are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients to help improve children's height.
- Soy protein- As the name suggests, soy protein grains are rich in proteins that will boost the children's overall health. It is one of the best alternative vegetarian proteins for children who do not consume meat. Soy protein contains vitamins, minerals, folate, carbs, and fibre.
- Eggs- They are the highest source of proteins to the body and one of the best foods for height growth. Eggs also contain essential amino acids, which will help in the overall development of children and support their skeletal growth and cell development.
- Chicken- it helps build body tissue, muscle, and mass and thereby helps in growing taller. It is rich in proteins, vitamin B, and other essential nutrients to our body. It also contains an essential amino acid called taurine that helps in bone formation and our body's growth.
- Milk- It has the highest amount of calcium, which helps grow taller and maintain strong bones.
- Tofu- It is a product that is prepared from soya milk. It is rich in proteins and calcium. It is considered to be the best choice for children to grow taller and improves the overall health of the children.
- Banana- Banana is a rich source of potassium, manganese, and calcium. It increases bone strength.
- Fish (Salmon fish)- It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. It acts like a heart-healthy fat that is very essential for the growth and development of children.
- Asaliya seeds- also known as Lepidium sativum, one of the best foods that help in muscle and bone growth by promoting growth hormone production.
- Beans- Beans are a rich source of proteins and are highly nutritious. It helps regulate, promote, and increase insulin-like growth factor 1 levels. Beans are rich in iron and vitamin B. It also consists of magnesium, copper, zinc, and manganese, which is helpful for height growth.
Food that must be avoided for the growth of children
Certain food items must be avoided by children to increase the height of the children. They include- the consumption of excessive sugar and sugar items, excessive salt, high cholesterol food items, aerated drinks, coffee, etc. These food items can be harmful to children’s growth as these food items are called calcium inhibitors. They can have a negative impact on calcium absorption in the body. Children with poor eating habits can have restricted growth in children and can also lead to complications such as obesity, type 1 diabetes mellitus, and osteoporosis in the long run.
The bottom line
The right amount of nutrition and diet plays a central role in promoting proper growth and development. It will not help you maintain good health and enhance the children's overall health. Along with a proper diet, the children should maintain a healthy lifestyle. They should exercise regularly, and parents or guardians should ensure they lead well-disciplined and healthy lives.
1. Does drinking milk make you grow taller?
Ans. According to research studies, they have noticed that milk plays an important role in children's growth development. Since milk is the richest source of calcium, it will help in bone formation and strengthening of the bones .
2. What is the immunity-boosting food for children?
Ans. Foods that can help in immunity-boosting food for children are berries, citrus fruits, red bell peppers, dry fruits and seeds, yogurt, green leafy vegetables, turmeric, meat and fish, legumes, and oats .